Followers

Thursday, 12 March 2015

New venture

Many, many years ago when I was a child I was taught how to crochet by a lovely lady that my mum was a home help for (now known as home carers).  During the holidays my mum was able to take me to work with her (something I am sure would not be allowed now) and I used to sit with the lady in question and we would crochet while my mum did the household chores.  Once I left school I didn’t do any crochet and a few years ago I did a refresher course with the intention of taking it up again – I even bought a couple of books to help give me a visual reminder but they remained tucked on our bookshelf.

This week on one of the blogs I follow I saw that Michelle of Michelle’s Stitchcraft place is starting a new business venture using eco-friendly yarns from South Africa.  I decided to pay the African Yarns website a visit and while I was there a few balls of the yarn fell into a basket and before I knew it had been checked out – that was on Tuesday evening and this morning they arrived – very quick service.  The colours are beautiful – as you can see I have picked a variety of colours as I just couldn’t decide on one colour.  The intention is to make simple granny squares to get me back into crochet again.  They are so soft and the colours look far better in real life.  All I need to do now is dust off my crochet hook and crochet book and make a start on using them.
DSCF4217

9 comments:

Kate said...

Lovely colours that you chose, Linda. Enjoy crocheting again ... there is such a splendid variety of patterns available online for making just about anything! :)

Julie said...

I too saw Michelle's new venture. I'll be interested to see how you find the new yarn. Nice colours you chose.

Justine said...

What beautiful colours you chose. Michelle is such a lovely lady. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make!

Mrs A. said...

The colours do look rather scrummy. I need to knit a new pair of felted slippers as I have finallly worn a hole in one slipper so I will pop over and hava a look at this shop. It's always good to know when you get a good service. Hugs Mrs A.

Annie said...

the yarn looks gorgeous! like you, I learnt the basics from my Nan who made granny square blankets, but then promptly forgot how to do them! I still know how to do simple stuff but don't know what each twist and turn of the yarn is called so following a pattern is like reading double dutch! I need to find someone to show me how .. ..
hope you are keeping well.
hugs, annie x

Marion K said...

Beautiful colours !
I am looking forward to see your granny squares.
Greetings Marion

Mrs A. said...

Just been and had a look at the yarns. They are all rather scrummy and I need some new fingerless gloves too. Just sorted out some patterns to try so off to buy me some wool. Hugs Mrs A.

Anne said...

Those yarns look gorgeous Linda. I took up my crochet hook again after a long absence :-) my grandma taught me. Have fun . I'm off to check out that site. Anne x

Karen K said...

Hi Linda

Lou is very good at Crochet, I have given it a bash and have hooks etc and quite like it but tend to go more to the sewing machine. Enjoy and have fun, I am sure you will find it addictive.

k x