Followers

Saturday, 13 July 2013

Naughty new start

Yesterday DH had taken the day off work and I also had the day free so we took Max on a train ride to Penzance.  It’s about a two hour journey as it stops at all stations on it’s way down so I decided to take a small piece of stitching with me.  As we settled down on the train I took the kit out only to find I’d forgotten to include a needle with which to stitch it with!  When we got to Penzance I managed to find a sweet little shop selling buttons and bows and needles so I was happy to think that I could at least start it on the return journey.

We walked from Penzance along the coastal path to the fishing port of Newlyn which is only about a mile and a half.  We came across a lovely public house called the Tolcarne Inn which is dog friendly and serve lovely food – predominately fish (no surprise there as it’s in a fishing port).  They had a lovely little seating area outside where we sat and enjoyed beer battered pollock and handcut chips and some Betty Stogg’s real ale.  Max also enjoyed some of the fish. 

From Newlyn we continued our walk along the coastal path until we came to Mousehole another tiny fishing town full of character with tiny side streets, galleries and a few cafes.   A really pretty place where we stopped and enjoyed an ice cream – Max enjoyed a mini milk.  It was an incredibly hot day and on the way back Max kept stopping under any shade he could find.  Now we always take water with us for him but it’s not always easy for us to get him to drink it – this time I was able to get him to drink it by tipping a small amount into the lid of the bottle several times – as you can imagine there were a lot of stops to ensure that he drank something but it meant we could really take in the views along the coast path.

By the time we got back on the train I was far too hot to do any stitching so I didn’t actually get to start my new piece of stitching until today.  Well at least I’ve got plenty more needles for stitching now! 
DSCF2465
The chart I bought from the Patchwork Rabbit and is called Summer Time Delights and is by Widgets & Wool Primitives.  I have decided to stitch it onto one of the Crafty Kittens fabrics this one is called Lemon Sorbet and is 28 count Lugana and is very pretty and very soft to work with.  This is the one I will work on before I go into work mornings and shouldn’t take that long to stitch up.  My main focus for the rest of the month really does need to be the teddy bear sampler – maybe I can get it done for Christmas as it certainly won’t be ready in time for her birthday on Wednesday.

The weather continues to be hot, hot, hot here in the South West and it’s been great to make the most of it with our visit to Penzance and some time in the garden – let’s hope it continues for a while yet.

6 comments:

catherine said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous day out Linda. I have never been to Penzance! At least as you say you have some more needles now!!. Have a good weekend
x catherine

cucki said...

Aww sound like you had a fun time..
I love your sweet stitches and fabric is so lovely too.
Hugs x

Julie said...

Sounds like you made the mot of your day off, how lovely.
Nice new start project.
Hangs head in shame.....didn't do any stocking stitching this week, it was way too hot to stitch.

Darnell J Knauss said...

I'm so delighted you are enjoying some unusually hot and sunny days, Linda. Your day at the coast with Max, altho hot, sounded idyllic. Sometimes it's nice to step away from any kind of crafting for a day. I hope the weather continues for you!!

The Patchwork Rabbit said...

Thanks for the mention, Linda!

SoCal Debbie said...

How frustrating to forget a needle! But it sounds like a wonderful non-stitching day after all!