Followers

Tuesday, 18 June 2013

A trip to Wimborne

Yesterday we visited Wimborne  a market town in East Dorset.  I love the ‘oldness’ of the place and many of the buildings date back to the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries.  Of course there is also the beautiful Wimborne Minster where the tombs of King Eitheired, the brother of Alfred the Great, as well as the tombs of John Beaufort, Duke of Somerse, and his duchess, the maternal grandparents of King Henry Vll are.  Apologies for the photo on the right - can't seem to rotate it now it's on my blog!  Beautiful architecture in this town.

DSCF2244DSCF2250
Among the many little shops there is this gem of a sweet shop with all the jars of sweets neatly lined up on their shelves.  I bought some boiled sweets, chocolate honeycomb and chocolate covered turkish delight for us to eat throughout the week.
DSCF2245DSCF2246

We enjoyed a walk along the river where we were fortunate to see a family of ducks and also hidden between the plants there was also a young family of swans.  Not the best photo but I wasn’t risking getting too close to the adult swans.
DSCF2255DSCF2241

All this walking and exploring built up an apetite so we had lunch at the Olive Branch where they had a lovely outside seating area.  I went for the Sour Bread roll filled with falafel and halloumi cheese and fries while Ian had the beef and ale pie with mash.  Both were delicious.
DSCF2253DSCF2252
There is also a shop there that sells wool and fabric and I couldn’t resist picking up these fat quarters – I think I will be making Savannah a simple small quilt out of these pretty squares.
DSCF2259
When we got back to the cottage it was nice enough to sit outside for a while and I managed to get some stitching done.  In the evening I also finished one of the Monk books that I had brought with us - just love the stories of this OCD detective.

6 comments:

cucki said...

Wow so much fun (:

Kate said...

Linda, another delightful travelogue that I enjoyed. Sounds like you're having a wonderful vacation.

Kaisievic said...

Thank you so much for taking me on your trip with you. It is a gorgeous town.

Suzanne said...

Looks like you're having a fab time! Your lunch looks delicious, XX

catherine said...

So glad your having a fantastic break Linda and great photos. Enjoy the rest of your week
x catherine

Julie said...

mmm chocolate covered turkish... my favourite! You seem to be having a really lovely time.