Followers

Friday, 14 December 2012

Day 14 Advent Calendar–Stockings, sacks or something else?

DSCF1610 Jo of Serendipitous Stitchings has organised a fantastic Advent Calendar blog hop and I am so happy to be a part of it this year and here is my offering for Day 14.  This sweet Santa design is by Prairie Schooler and is just one of the lovely designs in the booklet.  It's the first cross stitch ornament I have ever made and was really pleased with myself when I finally finished it off and it is now hanging on our Christmas tree.

Jo also asked the question of whether it was Stockings, Sacks or something else for Christmas.  When our children were young I used to fill stocking up for them with small presents, fruit and sweets which were placed at the end of their beds for when they woke up.  As they grew up this changed and all the presents were put around the Christmas tree.  We now have grandchildren and it is my hope that I will finally get round to stitching them each a Christmas stocking which I can fill up with small gifts each year and hopefully they will be able to then continue that tradition when they are adults -which gives me a few years to make them!



13 comments:

Jill said...

Oooh that is pretty Linda! Used to be a pillowslip when I was a child!

Great to see you yesterday. Jill x

Wendy said...

Such a lovely ornament!

My name is Wynneth said...

This is beautiful Linda. We had the same tradition with our children were small. A stocking on their beds filled with small gifts, fruit, nuts and a few shiny pennies in the toe. It's a family tradition I continued as I well remember as a child waking on christmas eve while it was still dark and reaching to the end of my bed with my toes, once I heard the exciting rustle of paper I knew 'He' had been and I'd drop off to sleep again happy ! We then put all the main gifts under the tree and all sit round and open them in turn once we were all up and about on christmas morning. Sadly, we don't see our grandsons on christmas morning and so I can't fill stockings for on their beds, I do miss this so much.
luv
wynneth
x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part.

Love your Santa ornie. Looks like stockings are the number one favourite in the blog hop this year!

Carolyn said...

Linda,
What a cute ornament. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Hugs!

Vickie said...

Great post Linda. What a wonderful first piece!

catherine said...

This is beautiful Linda and looks fabulous hanging on the tree. Mine have stockings hanging up which I hide something little in for the day
x catherine

Anne said...

Very lovely tradition!! Love your little PS Santa!!

Mrs A. said...

Your cross stitch Santa looks good on your tree. Used to be a pillowcase for me as a child too. Hugs Mrs a.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

oops, forgot to comment when I visited.

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year.

Love those PS Santas.

Darnell J Knauss said...

Boy, I haven't cross-stitched is two decades and I loved it. Your Santa is perfect! Those stockings are a beautiful tradition to continue, Linda, but you better get crackin'! We both know that the next time you turn around those grands will be adults! Happy Holidays! Darnell

Julie said...

Super ornament, prairie Schooler Santa's are such fun to stitch. I am planning to stitch my granddaughter a stocking for next year.

Topcho said...

Love your Santa ornament, it's so cute!