Followers

Saturday, 11 August 2012

CASology challenge #5 and making the most of the sunshine.

DSCF1039The past two weeks have seen very little crafting.  I hadn't until today even picked up a needle to do any stitching so I am behind with my Fat Man SAL.  Today though I have managed to complete a card for the CASology challenge - the cue card this week is POND.  I have just made this card although the image I've used wasn't the one I initially had in mind.  I had in my mind to use one of the images from the retired SU stamp set Summer by the Sea and thought I would stamp it onto watercolour card and use my watercolour pencils for a change.  When I went to pull out a piece of card from the pad I found this image which I had stamped and coloured months ago so decided to use it instead.  The image is a Little Claire stamp.  Using my CM ovals I cut out the image and a co-ordinating piece of blue paper from my scraps box.  The hardest part for this card was trying to find a sentiment that I wanted to use.  I went through my Unity SOTW stamps and found this one which I thought tied in nicely with both the image and my idea of what the girl in the boat was  PONDering about while fishing!
DSCF1016It's been a beautiful sunny day today and we decided to make the most of the sunshine and the fact that this is one of the last weekends I will have free as with my new job I will be working Friday, Saturdays and Sundays every week once my training is complete.

I took us out to Foggin Tor quarry out on Dartmoor - a place I was introduced to by my dear friend Jill last year - thank you Jill.  This is the view from just a part of the now disused quarry which as you can see is now filled with water.  The veiws from the top of the quarry are beautiful and you can see for miles across the glorious Dartmoor countryside on such a lovely sunny day.  Although it was lovely and sunny today it was also very windy and I very nearly lost my hat as the wind caught it.  Thankfully it didn't end up in the quarry pool.
DSCF1017
On our way back down Ian managed to fall down a hole that was well hidden by the grass.  In many ways he was very lucky that he didn't do himself any serious injury but I have to confess the initial reaction was great amusement on my part as he struggled to pull his foot back out of the hole.  By the time I got to take this photo he had already managed to get his foot out but when he first fell down the hole the bottom half of his calf was below the level of the grass.  It took him a great deal of effort to pull his foot out and I wondered if he would manage to get it out with his shoe still on.  For one awful moment I thought I might have had to walk back up the track and get another pair of shoes out of the car but by the time I'd stopped laughing both leg and shoe were safely out of the hole.





DSCF1014DSCF1034
These photo shows the remains of the quarry managers office - only a couple of the walls still remain but again the views from his window are amazingly beautiful although in the winter I can imagine they would give a very bleak outlook.

We got back about mid afternoon and so I was finally able to sit down and pick up the stitching again.  I decided to work on the Landscape picture from Yiotas cross stitch.  I will hopefully take photos of all the stitching projects I managed to work on during July although I didn't get as much stitching done as I would have liked in July due to the early arrival of Savannah.  I've decided to not to set myself any targets for this month due to the change in jobs - once I get myself into a routine I will feel happier to set those targets again.

The new job is going well and I've spent two weeks with Ali learning what I will be doing on a Friday evening.  For the next two weeks I will go in on a Tuesday and Wednesday during the day to find out what I will be expected to do on the Saturdays and Sundays.  This Friday coming I will be working on my own so just hope I can remember everything.




7 comments:

catherine said...

Sounds like your settling inwell in your new job and sure you will mange just fine on your own. You have been busy lately and glad you enjoyed your day out. Good job your hubby didn't really hurt himself!!
The card is fab and the sentiment is great too. had me singing away to myself after. Hope you have a good weekend
x catherine

Ardyth said...

Love this cute pond image - thanks so much for playing along with CASology this week!

Tracey McNeely said...

Fun fun image, super CAS. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology!

Julie said...

Good luck with the first solo evening in your new job Linda.
Poor DH, got to admit though if it had been my hubby I too would have laughed, so pleased he wasn't hurt though. It does look a lovely place for a visit.
Super card, cute design.

Saxo Stamper said...

Hi Linda

Sounds like its going well with the new job, poor Ian, glad he wasn't hurt.

Beautiful job on the card

K x x x

Rosemary said...

lovely image and card... perfect take on the cue word! thanks for playing along with CASology and for sharing those gorgeous pictures!!

Melissa said...

You picked a gorgeous spot to spend your afternoon! Wow! Too funny that you captured Ian's moment on camera! :)

What a sweet image and I love the sentiment you paired with it! Love all the open space! :) Thanks for joining us at CASology!