Followers

Friday, 9 March 2012

It's been a long day and stash confession.

It's been a long day - I had to get up early this morning and drive up to Swindon with my parents to go to my Uncle Jim's funeral. We set off at 7am this morning and I had allowed an extra hour into my journey time as I didn't know if there would be the need for elderly pit stops - there wasn't and so we got up there by 9.30. The funeral was due to take place at 11.30 so we had plenty of time to make ourselves comfortable and have a nice cup of tea - it also gave my dad the chance to see my cousin John beforehand.

It was a simple funeral and obviously they are sad occasions, but I think what makes it even sadder is that my poor cousin had lost his mum only last June and so has had to say goodbye to both parents quite suddenly. I've lived in Plymouth for nearly 28 years so haven't actually seen my Uncle Jim for a number of years and I honestly can't ever remember seeing John when we were children. There are 8 years between us and when I did go round there as a child I can never remember him being there - I joked with him and said I think his parents must have hid him in a cupboard. I couldn't get over how much he looked and sounded just like my Uncle Jim, even his mannerisms were Uncle Jim all over.

After the funeral we went somewhere to have a drink and a bite to eat, which gave us time to chat and for dad to tell him a few stories about his dad in his younger years. My Uncle Jim and Auntie Margaret had him quite late in life and was a very much wanted child - there had been several pregnancies before him which ended sadly so he was always a special child as far as they were concerned. With them being older parents, it meant that by the time John was a young man his parents were pensioners and so he knew very little of them in younger years. I think it was nice for both John and my dad to remember Uncle Jim in his younger days.

My brother doesn't live far from John so I am sure that they will keep in touch and I hope that now that I've finally met him we can keep in touch too.

On a more positive but naughty note I have some more stash to confess to buying this week. In my defence when I placed my first order with Sewandso I thought I had ordered two of the patterns, but all I'd done was looked at the materials required and added them to my basket and forgot to add the charts! So I placed another order for the two charts and somehow another couple of charts and a piece of fabric also fell into the basket. I also added the floss card holders which should have been in the first order too so that I could put the Anchor threads from the boxer picture onto and put them in my Anchor storage box.

DSCF0033
The Christmas stocking and the season chart were the additional patterns that fell into the basket. I have been wanting to stitch some stockings for the grandchildren for a while but didn't want anything too complicated - when I saw this one I thought it should be easy enough to complete and there are other designs available too - I would want each one of them to have something different from their sibling. I'm not expecting to get them done for this Christmas but I would love to have them done for 2013. The season chart is also one of a series and I thought it would be good to do them all and put them up at the relevant time of the year - it is my intention to try and get them done this year - along with everything else I want to do. Oh so many projects if only there was more time in a day.

4 comments:

catherine said...

I'm glad things went as well as they can at these times for you and your family today. Such sad times we have to face sometimes.
Well you have some lovely stash there even those naughty ones that just happened to fall into your basket !!
You need to treat yourself sometimes
x catherine

Jill said...

Sorry to hear of your loss Linda, but pleased to hear that it all went ok, sometimes, and only sometimes, its good to catch up with people. Jill x

angelwhispers said...

Glad things went ok today Linda I have that to come next week as my Uncle has just passed away. My heart goes out to your Cousin loosing both his parents so close together my husbands passed away just three months apart and its was so hard for him to cope with!

Now on to your stash you are so naughty!! I just don't know where you get the time for all your crafting you really are such a star! Love Chanelle xxx

My name is Wynneth said...

Funerals are quite often really sad occasions, but it sounds like something really positive came from this one. It is such a shame that we often don't meet up with relatives except at funerals, and the older we get the more of these there seems to be. I hope you and your new found cousin will stay in touch in the future.

Good luck with all those fabby new projects, you naughty stash hound you !!!
luv
wynneth
x