Followers

Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Jingle Belles Challenge #3

Normally I try and combine the Jingle Belles challenge with Craftyhazelnuts Christmas challenge, but I just couldn't get what I wanted to work so I decided to go with this one for the Jingle Belles challenge and I'll do something different for Hazels challenge. The Jingle Belles challenge this week was to use acrylic paint. I've taken some plain cardstock and initially painted it in a deep purple, then coated it with some crackle glaze and finally added a coat of green paint to it. Unfortunately it didn't crackle as much as I had hoped it would, but after playing about for hours deciding what I was going to do for the challenge I didn't mind as I've used red as an accent colour so the purple wouldn't have gone anyway. Why didn't I use red in the first place, well that's because I only have a couple of colours in acrylic paints (do I need to remedy that?)

I tried to get it to crackle more by putting it through my paper crimper but that didn't make much difference, but I liked the effect and went with it, adding some Tim Holtz black soot distress ink to to edges. I love this traditional santa image which came with a QVC kit by Kanban, which I have inked the edges using peeled paint distress ink this time.

Anyway after lots of shuffling I finally managed to get six of them completed.
jingle belles 3
Supplies
Cream square card from stash
SU Real Red cardstock
Image and sentiment stamp by Kanban
Acrylic paints
Tim Holtz Peeled Paint and Black Soot distress ink pads
Ribbon and brads from stash.

8 comments:

SmilynStef said...

What a perfect sentiment for that fabulous Santa image ... and I LOVE the painted crimped effect on the background ... way to use the colors you have and make it work ... thanks so much for joining our Jingle Belle journey.

Jill said...

Firstly I just love that image and secondly the card looks FANTASTIC!! Jill x

lauren bergold said...

oooooooooooooooh!!! ooh ooh OOOOOOH! ok, this is awwwwwesome, i really ♥LOVE♥ what you've done here! that santa image is beautiful and you've "customized" it perrrrrfectly to go with your pretty painty cards!

(& on a sub note: i am sort of weirdly reassured that other ppl have "crackle" issues at times too; i had heard that big brush strokes and a heavier coating of paint would get me a bigger crackle effect...but i honestly think it's just totally RANDOM b/c sometimes you get loads of crackle and sometimes hardly ANY. ah well, i guess that's part of the "magic" right?! plus, in this case, the more "restrained" crackle really is a fabulous look!) :) ♥

Rosemary said...

How cool are these?! I'm also very jealous (comes with a wink) that you made six of them! You're going to have so many wonderful cards by December. I tried to figure out some way of combining Hazel's and the Jingle Belle's and just couldn't do it for this one, glad to know I wasn't alone!

lisa said...

This is absolutely fantabulous! Love it... (my 5yo is sitting here breathing in my ear, "ooh... that is pretty... looks like Santa Clause... I want one!" So, it's not just me. These are gorgeous!

Marianne@RuffHaven said...

Six ! six lovely Santa Clause Cards

Good job !

Dawn said...

Your cards are wonderful! I love that santa image! Well done!

Tyggereye said...

These are gorgeous!! You busted out that many??!!! wOW! That is a feat in itself. They are so pretty. I need a crimper. I swear I think I'm the only one with out one, or never had one at least. lol