Followers

Thursday, 18 November 2010

A week of changes.

Last Friday was the last day at my old job - I'd been there for 8 years and while I was not sorry to leave the work behind it was a bit sad to say goodbye to the people I had been working with. Having said that I am sure I will still see some of them from time to time. They loved the little chocolate boxes I gave them and I loved the gifts they gave me. Firstly a gorgeous basket of flowers, which are still going strong, so pretty and one of them did ask me what I would do with the basket - to which I replied I'm sure I can fill it with stash of some kind. They also bought me some Thorntons chocolates and another small box of chocolates - Janice who bought them and knows me well - didn't have a clue what the chocolates were like, but knew I would love the box they came in! They also bought me three boxes of fruit teas (as that is all I used to drink at work) and I had some money too, which will no doubt be spent on stash when I go down to Kelly Bray on Saturday.
leaving

I also received three other lovely 'Good Luck in your New Job' cards from my friends Karen, Jill and Jacqueline - aren't they super.

My new job started on Monday, but I had already been woken up just before 1am and spent 2 1/2 hours at Derriford Hospital with Colette. She'd had a show during the day and was getting pains so as she was still classed as premature they advised her to come in so they could check her and baby out. So at 1am I was up, closely followed by Ian as he needed to help me de-ice the car! Everything was ok - baby was happy and Colette wasn't in the early stages of labour so we were sent back home. Managed to grab a couple of hours sleep before having to go into work - I'd had visions of having to ring my new employer to say I wouldn't be able to make it but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Monday and Tuesday was mainly spent going through paperwork, watching videos and other general induction procedures. Wednesday was my first early morning shift - I had to be in work for 5am and it was the quickest 7 hours at work that I have ever known - the time just flew by. It was really busy in there - not helped by the fact that there had been really heavy rain during the night, which meant the trains were severely disrupted which in turn meant the station cafe was extremely busy all day! At times I felt like a spare part as I was unable to do much due to not having had the training yet, but I have learnt how to make sandwiches, toasties and paninis - easy you might think, but you wouldn't believe what goes into making the humble sandwich for a retail outlet. Everything has to be done in a certain way and ingredients have to be weighed before being packed up and sealed for the customers. I'd forgotten how tiring it could be on the 'old pins' after being sat on my rear for the past eight years. I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things, but it's amazing just how much they have to do there and with only two people to do it I now fully appreciate all the hard work.

Day off today and I made the most of having a lie in - however, tomorrow is another early start so early to bed for me tonight.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Great to see you and Collette yesterday and thanks for the SU stuff which is lovely, going to try it out today. Hope you have a good day at work and make sure you email me when Collette has babe. Jill x

Saxo Stamper said...

Hi Linda

Glad to hear Collie Wobbles is ok - not long to go now.

Also really nice to hear all about your new job, I hope you will continue to enjoy it.

love K x